As the only Canadian developer entrusted with Nintendo IP, Next Level Games is best known for its work on Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Punch-Out!!, Super Mario Strikers, Mario Strikers Charged and most recently, Metroid Prime: Federation Force.
Since the company’s inception in 2002, Next Level Games has been a leading small employer and pioneer in setting best practices for desirable workplaces in the gaming industry. Our company has been recognized over the years for our studio culture by organizations including BC Business Magazine, WorkLife BC, Canada's Top 100 Employers, and BC’s Top Employers.
We are currently seeking a Material Artist to join our team of seasoned, passionate and talented game developers. Please submit your cover letter and resume through our online application process.
- Create or modify existing textures for use on environment and prop assets;
- Work with Art Director, Environment Leads and Technical Leads to benchmark assets that are game engine compliant;
- Produce all the required textures to realize project art direction, [diffuse, normal, spec etc];
- Create and manage material library and provide visibility to artists;
- Work with Technical Leads to understand and define the project's technical constraints [memory usage, texel ratios etc] ;
- Gain understanding of proprietary material system, and work with Technical Leads on improvements or customization for project needs;
- Maintain knowledge and understanding of the game design and how materials support it;
- Be proactive and adaptive in ensuring textures and materials meeting the environment teams needs and constraints;
- Work with Producers and Environment Leads to ensure material production aligns with project milestones and deliverables;
- Help optimize game through textures and material library management;
- Fix bugs related to textures and materials;
- Experience working with PBR systems
- Experience with node based material creation
- Proficiency in 3DS Max, ZBrush & Photoshop
- Proficiency in Unreal a bonus
- Proficiency with bug tracking software
- Excellent communication, organization and interpersonal skills
- Ability to schedule and manages multiple priorities
- Able to take calculated risks, accept failure and learn from mistakes
- Excel as a team player and strive to maximize team / department performance
- Proficient writing skills and the ability to document procedures and pipelines
We wish to thank all applicants in advance; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.